Bobotie is likely one of the proudest and oldest South African recipes. It was influenced and impressed by the slaves that got here to South Africa. They introduced with them their nice spices and flavours, and Bobotie was invented!
2 massive onions
2 tablespoons butter
1 thick slice of white bread
1 cup milk
1 kg mutton (minced beef can be utilized as substitute)
2 ½ tablespoons robust curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons apricot jam
2 almonds, quartered
¼ cup lemon juice (or vinegar)
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup seedless raisins
1 inexperienced apple, grated
10 dried apricots, soaked and lower up (or apricot jam)
4 lemon leaves or dried bay leaves
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Evenly fry the onions within the butter.
2. Soak the bread in half the milk and mash with a fork.
3. Combine the meat with the entire substances aside from the eggs, the remainder of the milk and bay/lemon leaves.
4. Put the combination in an oven proof dish. Push the lemon/bay leaves in on the highest.
5. Cowl and bake for about 40 minutes.
6. Beat the eggs and milk collectively and pour over the meat. Barely carry it to permit the egg to run into the bobotie. Bake till brown on prime (about 15 – 20 minutes).
Serve bobotie with yellow rice and raisins. Aspect dishes that go nice with bobotie and yellow rice are greens like inexperienced beans and candy potato, or attempt potato salad.